Wills And Trusts Are Important For You And Your Family
When you sit down with an attorney to discuss your options for drafting an estate plan, you are taking an important step to protect the future well-being of your finances, your family and your legacy. It is common for families to not understand the differences between wills and trusts, revocable and irrevocable, pay-on-death agreements and powers of attorney.
At Helton Law Firm in Tulsa, we believe that our clients have the right to be educated on all their estate planning options before they are asked to make important life decisions. For that reason, we offer a free initial informational meeting to discuss estate planning and get to know you and your family’s goals better. With that information, we can then craft a specific plan that addresses the issues that are important to you.
Effective Estate Planning Solutions Provide You With Peace Of Mind
It is a simple fact that many people choose to ignore the importance of drafting and implementing a valid will or trust. Although it may be difficult or uncomfortable to engage in death planning, taking action today can prove invaluable to protecting your family should something happen to you.
If you die or become incapacitated without a valid last will and testament or revocable trust in Oklahoma, the state will determine the distribution of your estate. Going through the probate process can be an expensive, time-consuming endeavor that places a heavy burden on your family. In addition to a will, there are various types of trusts that may benefit you and your family.
Issues an attorney can help you consider as you draft a last will and testament or revocable living trust include:
- Naming an executor or trustee to your estate, preferably a family member or loved one in good health
- Deciding how to distribute your estate, such as itemizing your property and assets
- Specifying who will receive your property, including family, friends or charities, as well as individuals you want to disinherit
- Minimizing tax liability
- Avoiding complicated, expensive and lengthy probate proceedings
- Protecting against family disputes
- Planning for the succession or management of a closely held family business
- Addressing issues that arise with blended families
- Protecting assets for children with prenuptial and antenuptial agreements
- Nominating guardians for minor children or those in your care with special needs
- Providing for children with creditor issues
There are no stupid questions! When you sit down with us, we are happy to explain in understandable language all your options for establishing revocable living trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, special-needs trusts and others. We can also discuss joint ownership, payable-on-death designations, power of attorney and other advance directives that may apply to you.
We Can Help You Protect Your Family Through Proactive Estate Planning
Even if you have taken some time to think about your final wishes or written them down on a sheet of paper, it is still important to work with an experienced estate planning lawyer to ensure that you spare your loved ones unnecessary heartache and hardship. At Helton Law Firm, we will listen as you describe your situation and needs, offer clear advice, and ultimately provide you with the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you, your family and your estate are protected.